Double chance in sports betting: what it is, how to understand 1X, 12 and X2, calculation examples
A double chance bet raises the odds of winning in the 1x2 market. The advantage of a double outcome is that you can make a profit with different outcomes. Let's figure out what a double chance is, what are its types, how this bet is calculated and when to bet a double outcome.
This article was published thanks to the"Excelbetting.com" Betting Spreadsheet - Analysis, study sports betting, take tests, earn experience and beat the leaderboard. Outrun the editor-in-chief!
What is double chance betting
A Double Chance is a single bet that you bet on the outcome of a match that wins two out of three possible outcomes. You can only bet on a double chance in those sports in which there is a draw in regular time. For example, football or hockey.
Types of double chance bets
In the double chance market, there are always three possible choices.
- 1X - first team or draw. Profit will bring the victory of the first team and a draw result, the victory of the guests will turn into a loss.
- X2 - draw or win for the second. The bet will be held if the second team wins and a draw, but loses if the hosts succeed.
- 12 - victory of the first or second. The victory of one of the teams will make a profit, and a draw will lead to a loss.
How double outcome bets are settled
Double chance bets are calculated like other single bets: in case of success, the payout will be equal to the amount of the bet multiplied by the odds taken. Which of the two outcomes will play is not important.
The odds of a double chance bet are the higher, the higher the odds on the outcomes in the double chance individually. That being said, the margin is usually the same in the 1x2 and double chance markets. That is, there is no difference whether to place a bet on W1 and X or one bet on 1x.
Examples of calculating double chance bets
Let's say you bet 1,000 rubles at odds of 1.75 on 1X in a Chelsea-Arsenal match. The following options are possible.
- If the match ends in a draw or Chelsea win, then you will receive a payment of 1,750 rubles: 1,000 x 1.75. Net profit - 750 rubles.
- If Arsenal succeeds, the bet will lose.
If you want to take X2 for 2000 rubles with a coefficient of 4.50 in the match "Real" - "Spartak", a draw will bring profit again.
- If the match ends with a victory for "Spartak" or a draw, then the payment will be 9000 rubles: 2000 x 4.50. Net profit - 7,000 rubles.
- If Real is successful, the bet will lose.
When placing a bet 12 in the hockey match "Washington" - "Pittsburgh" in the amount of 3000 rubles with odds of 1.25, you will be satisfied with the victory of any team in regulation time.
- If Washington or Pittsburgh succeeds in regular time, you will receive a payment of 3750 rubles: 3000 x 1.25. Net profit - 750 rubles.
- A draw over the three periods will make the bet lose.
Double betting strategies
Players are betting on a double outcome in the following situations.
- The first team is the favorite of the opposition: a large 1X bet with a low odds serves as insurance.
- The second team is the favorite of the match: the X2 bet for a large sum is played in the same way as insurance.
- There are rivals, whose standings oblige to play to win: they place a bet of 12 on the double chance market.
- The favorite is in bad shape: they bet a double chance for an outsider and a draw with a high odds.
Best Betting Software - Best Analysis results - Best winnings
You can check out some of our best betting software. They will provide you with detailed analysis of each match with high visibility of the results in each match.